RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snelvuur

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Content Server Support Files Reply with quote

So i downloaded these files from the website, tried to run it with buildupdate.php (or what the name was) with "tf2" or "orangebox" as optional parameter. But it doesn't create any files at all, it does show a lot of data when its finished but even with "hlserver" it doesn't create anything.

I dont get back any errors and i chowned everything to 777 to be sure, that didn't help. Also helped it out by creating a linux/win32 directory but no luck too.

Then run it clean with no php extensions (php -n i believe) and didn't work either.

So what am i doing wrong here? Because i was a "new" person here, took me a while to figure out i need this in order to install a game. Since the client/website doesn't inform you with a message saying "we dont host this content for this server, please install xxx" that would have been nice to have.

Eric
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

I agree that would be a nice feature, its on our todo list.

The build-update script won't download any files for you, it just inspects your already downloaded files and generates information for GameCreate about your game installs.

We have a rough guide at http://doc.gamecreate.com/AdminDomainPackagesPage and it expects your files to already be downloaded.

You can test it out quickly by just creating a text document called 'test.txt' where you'd normally put the files for example.
Snelvuur

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through that url, but it wasn't *that* clear that it doesn't actually download the files. Also because i thought there would be something in place that will keep that up to date.

Like most "steam" games, when a update comes it needs updating, however i have windows hosts and linux hosts, one would run steam -update etc etc to update it for linux, you can script this automaticly under linux but i cant update the windows folder from within a linux host though.

The steam games normally update themself but in this case you would like the content server to get the new files and then distrubute, but how does the system know it can update it (if there are users playing)

Maybe a bit too much question i know, maybe i should read up a bit more too but documentation is a bit low at the moment.

(did manage to make some content, and distribute it, although it created a "/gamecreate/killingfloor/killingfloor" direcotry , which is a bit double, dont have it like that on the content server, just killingfloor. Tried this game out as a test, since it was also not one in my packages.txt.. have to try it all ofcourse)
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know the doco about this area is a bit limited, we don't have time at the moment to expand it.

Quote:
although it created a "/gamecreate/killingfloor/killingfloor" direcotry

You should have a layout of win32\killingfloor\<KF files in here>

I suggest you just experiment a bit, or search this forum for 'content server' related posts too.
Kybber

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snelvuur wrote:
Like most "steam" games, when a update comes it needs updating, however i have windows hosts and linux hosts, one would run steam -update etc etc to update it for linux, you can script this automaticly under linux but i cant update the windows folder from within a linux host though.

You can install Wine. We use it for our content host (Linux) to run steam-updates for Windows.
Code:
wine HldsUpdateTool.exe -command update -game etc...

Snelvuur wrote:
The steam games normally update themself but in this case you would like the content server to get the new files and then distrubute, but how does the system know it can update it (if there are users playing)

If you add the /a /r options to the build-update script, all servers belonging to the game will be stopped, then the installation will be performed, and the servers will be restarted. This happens as soon as the script finishes. There is unfortunately no option to do the update as soon as all servers are empty (which may actually not happen if you have many servers on a host), but you can script that functionality yourself if you want to. E.g. "Run this update as soon as all servers are empty or at the latest after 8 hours"
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating servers when they become empty is on the wishlist Smile

We have an unreleased version of the content master that supports automatic Steam updates (not fully tested yet) which regularly checks for Steam updates for your games - and deploys them if available.

At the moment though this is still a once-off operation you need to do.
Snelvuur

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips so far, its going to be time consuming but should be nice in the future. Basicly any "install fresh" would hold the core stuff, then all the other bits should be done with the config files (as addon to it) then if you want a new one, easilly use the same and tweak some config files. (or even more locally)

Still mind boggling at the moment, takes some time to settle in. I do most of the updates for our "community" which consist out roughly 20 left4dead(2), 7/8 tf2's and a bunch of css (5 i think) and then sometimes something else.. to see if it has enough fan base.. but doing this almost on your own is time consuming.

Instead of games can you also do this for addons? so if you have sourcemod, one could say add a new game, same folder as tf2, but then empty the tf2 folder and only put in the stuff for sourcemod. This would create a "addon" for tf2 no? (just thinking out loud here)
Snelvuur

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i also got the windows part running, by doing the hlsupdatetool.exe with wine, that works fine (nice tip)

I got the installations done by the content server, also with the correct permissions (needs a chmod +x on executables etc etc)

leaves me only 2 questions left.

1. the content server always servers the files in "killingfloor/killingfloor/xxx" or for instance "tf2/tf2/xxx" folders, so its always a double name.

2. I can create multiple servers now, i can manage the server settings, map rotations and specific settings per server via the cfg. Only i also use sourcemod on tf2 servers with plugins, which are different for each server, how would one work with that? I need to include sourcemod with each server anyway, so i can put it into the content server, but that still leaves all the plugins..

if i can get those points fixed some way i think i'am finished Smile

(tied to play with subdomains, but thats not the sollution i believe)

p.s. after some more digging, one could use for instance http://wiki.alliedmods.net/SourceMod_Configuration see last section, where it says that you can have a config file weither or not to load certain plugins. For each server you can have a file like that and disable the plugins you dont want loading. Assuming you add sourcemod to your standard tf2 build.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snelvuur wrote:

1. the content server always servers the files in "killingfloor/killingfloor/xxx" or for instance "tf2/tf2/xxx" folders, so its always a double name.

That's strange.

Can you review your build-update.config file and try running the build-update script from the same directory where build-update script is located?

Sounds like a minor config issue in the .config file.

Quote:

2. I can create multiple servers now, i can manage the server settings, map rotations and specific settings per server via the cfg. Only i also use sourcemod on tf2 servers with plugins, which are different for each server, how would one work with that? I need to include sourcemod with each server anyway, so i can put it into the content server, but that still leaves all the plugins..

Unfortunately at the moment GC does not support 'addon' packages, where you could opt to install different files per install.

What you may want to do is either always install the files (put them in your content package) and make the game server enable/disable the addons as required (perhaps create a new File in GC Files tab that writes out the plugins/plugin_name.vdf (I think?) document that tells srcds to enable the plugin, or write out a blank version when you dont want it loaded).

Or just install the required files on a per-install basis manually.
Snelvuur

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i install it manually, that is a option. I just notice the more and more time i put in, the more complex it begins to work out.

If you host a lot of servers with the same builds , this is a really good sollution. Having variations makes it less appealing.

The whole point i started with this is to make sure the automatic updates from valve are easy to be done for anyone. If i make seperate installs i still need to run the update client maybe 6/7 times if a tf2 update comes. With the content server i only have to download it once, and then all goes fast.

So basicly what i end up with (i think) is get tf2 with sourcemod and all the other crap which the server needs anyway (like sourcebans/steambans/etc) and all the config files which are "different" leave them out of the package and do those manually.

Will let you know if/when i get this finished Smile its a lot of work, and i am the only one in our community with knowledge about linux..
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: